ATX vs AT (was: [PLUG] Shutdown won't power down)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Nov 15 19:07:57 UTC 2002

* Anthony Schlemmer <aschlemm at attbi.com> [2002-11-15 11:02]:
> I've got a system with an Asus SP97V mobo and it has both AT and ATX
> power supply connectors on the board. It does have a AT style keyboard
> connector but it did come with a PS/2 style connector for converting
> one of the onboard serial ports to a PS/2 connector.
>
> A little strange to say the least and I've always used an AT power
> supply on the thing even when replacing the old power supply with a new
> one. I was surprised to find I could still find new AT power supplies.
> I don't know how I could use an ATX power supply on the thing unless
> those power supplies fit in an PC/AT case. More importantly...without a
> PS/2 style keyboard connector and, DB25 and DB9 connectors mounted on
> the back of the board I don't see how I can put this mobo into an ATX
> case.

Not unusual, just not common. :)

I've built several computers over the last 4 years or so that had ATX cases
that came with a special insert for that type of motherboard. The insert
only had the keyboard hole in it, and that had a knockout so you could
make the hole bigger if the MB had the AT style keyboard socket.

I think I've still got some of those inserts lying around, as I've never
actually used them. I was building computers with ATX motherboards, so I
used the other insert that came with the case.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

Sex is a three-letter word which needs some old-fashioned four-letter words to convey its full meaning -- Murphy's Laws on Sex n°33