[PLUG] Evolution 1.2

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Sun Nov 17 08:53:15 UTC 2002

I just wanted to share my experience with using Evolution 1.2.....

I downloaded it and spent a bit of time compiling the sucker (and
everything it depends on)...

Now, I compiled it with far less optimizations (-march=athlon
-mcpu=athlon -O3 -s -ffast-math -funroll-loops) than I had 1.0.8
compiled with.  It is, however, a *lot* faster.  It loads up my mailbox
probably twice as fast and whenever I receive new email, there isn't
that churning of the disk I had with 1.0.8 - they really fixed their
mail storage problem.  The interface also seems a bit more refined -
nothing I can really put my finger on, though.

Now we run in to problems.  I open up the PLUG VFolder, click on a
message up at the top, and hit 'n' for 'next unread message'.  Ooops, no
dice.  I hunted around for several minutes - I think that keybinding and
event have just vanished.  Bummer.

So I go prancing through the config settings (which are all in one place
now... nice).  Can't find it.  I changed a few things and hit OK or
Apply (don't remember which)... the evolution-mail portion of ev
seg-faulted.  No biggy, I say, I do a oaf-slay && killev && oaf-slay to
be sure it is gone and launch it again.  Now whenever I go in to that
Settings box, evolution-mail dies.  Errm... bummer.

The shortcuts on the side seem to also have problems updating - new mail
came in (3 plug messages) but Inbox's count didn't go up - PLUG's did.
I have yet to see if the 'Unmatched' count works properly or not (it
didn't update with 1.0.8 unless I was viewing the unmatched folder when
the mail came in).

That about sums it up.  I'd wait for another release - hopefully with a
fixed 'n' key.  :-)

But if you store a lot of email in ev, you'll find a much much snappier
system.  I have about 5300 emails in my inbox and definitely noticed a
big improvement.  I'm sure those of you with years' worth of email will
find an even bigger jump in speed.  :-)

Rob

--
"That's between you and your god.  Oh wait a
minute, you *are* your god.  That's a problem."