[PLUG] Wireless D-link PCI card

Bob bob at bmtsolutions.com
Mon Nov 18 10:23:22 UTC 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 11:01, Russell Evans wrote:
> My bad on the wlan-ng. I thought it was a rpm. I think it was a seperate
> package in the past, but it is now part of the kernel package. So you're
> good to go.
>
> The error is because the card doesn't understand "automatic" use "managed".
> It is the same as "infrastructure" i.e. in managed mode your box talk to an
> AP. You won't be able to ping the gateway until you have the link setup. At
> the command prompt you want to run iwconfig after setting the card to
> managed. The things to look for are; the Mode, confirm it is in Managed,
> the Cell, make sure your seeing your AP ( some places in town it is easy to
> pick up someone elses AP ), and Signal level, if its 0 you know you can't
> "see" the AP and need to start closer to the AP or look at the AP to make
> sure it's working.
>

> Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462GHz  Cell: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>           Bit Rate=11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
>           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>

> I'm not sure why you weren't able it install modules. It is good that it
> falled because that was only needed if yast didn't see your card which it
> did.
>
> Thank you
> Russell

Thanks for all the great feedback.  I worked on this all day and still got no
where.  I was on the verge of committing electronnic suicide when I shot off
an email to the suse group.  I got the following reply back from a Rick
Green...

"The 'plus' series of wireless adapters from D-link is using a new chipset
from Texas Instruments(ACX-100), not the intersil prism chipset that has
been common up to this point.To date, there is no open-source driver for the
TI chipset, and TI has declined to release the information necessary to write
one. I did see a few weeks ago, a note from a representative of the
Australian division of D-Link to a LUG there, that a closed-source
binary-only driver was under development and scheduled for release around
the end of the year.I, too, am awaiting more information, as this chipset is
purported to have significant performance advantages over the intersil part,
and has been adopted as the new standard by D-Link, USR, and others."

I thought I would shared the info just in case someone else has purchased or
thinking about purchasing this particular card..... DWL-520+ D-link Airplus
Wireless PCI adapter..   So I guess I am off to purchase a different card.  I
would love to hear about any suggestions on cards that you or anyone else
knows that works.

Times like this reminds me on how little I know. I have come along way, over
the last couple of years but maybe someday I can graduate to at least an
intermediate user.  I am forever stuck on newbie..   Thanks for you valuable
time and feedback.

bob