[PLUG] Redhat 8.0 / Nvidia Drivers

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Tue Nov 19 04:26:54 UTC 2002

Scott VanHoosen said:
> I tried your instructions, but it didn't work, as before. Here is what I
> did:
>
> rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
>>
>> Weird. I have it working fine.
>>
>> Get the source RPM. (I don't remember version numbers and I am not in
>>
>> front of the computer.)
>>
>> rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-<whatever>.src.rpm

Read those instructions again.

You need to do an "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-<version>.src.rpm,
rather than installing the src.rpm. Building from the src.rpm will drop
You want to "rpm -ivh" that to get the kernel module installed. Then edit
your /etc/X11/XF86Config and change 'Driver "nv"' to 'Driver "nvidia"'.
You'll need to install the GLX rpm also.

I didn't have any problems when building from "source" <cough, cough>
rpms, and otherwise following NVIDIA's instructions.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District