[PLUG] Why is it slower on a P4?

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Tue Nov 19 20:34:54 UTC 2002

Russ,

Thanks for the hard numers!

It looks to me the same as it does to you... everything checks out,
except, of course, the responsiveness of the machine. and found this:

I looked at the UDMA mini-howto and found this
(http://leuksman.com/linux/Ultra-DMA-8.html):

  ``Normally, a UDMA-aware kernel will automatically enable UDMA support
for drives and interfaces that support it. In most cases that it
doesn't, the kernel either doesn't know how to drive your IDE chipset
(get yourself a patch, see above) or doesn't believe it is safe to
enable it (meaning you shouldn't!).''

When one follows the link to the patch, I get this for hdparam:

``UDMA support is provided for at least the following chipsets, and
probably many more I don't know about:''

  All Intel chipsets: FX, HX, VX, TX, LX
  All SiS chipsets (only SiS5598 tested, but this entire family of

At this point a caviet: This documentation may be a bit dated.

I then went out to look at what your motherboard chipset might be.
ExtremeTech tells me that if it's a Dell Dimention then it probably has
an Intel 845E chipset.

Off to http://groups.google.com to search for `Linux UDMA 845E.'

Bingo!

There's a patch for this. Also, there's tons of information about
hdparam in regard to the Intel chipsets!

Best,

Cooper