[PLUG] limiting simultaneous logins in Samba

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 20 00:45:06 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 15:49, Eric Harrison wrote:
> I found what I was looking for... by default Samba ignores the PAM account
> and session management. Adding the following line to the globals section
> of the smb.conf changes this behavior:
>
> 	obey pam restrictions = yes

As per the samba docs:

http://us6.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/smb.conf.5.html#OBEYPAMRESTRICTIONS

"Note that Samba always ignores PAM for authentication in the case of
encrypt passwords = yes  . The reason is that PAM modules cannot support
the challenge/response authentication mechanism needed in the presence
of SMB password encryption."

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District