[PLUG] Mandrake + Win2K + VPN = need help

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Nov 20 01:26:59 UTC 2002

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:09, Michael Luevane wrote:
> Hello, pluggers!
>
> First off, I was impressed with the turnout at the clinic. That was ver'
> kewl to see that kind of response.
>
> That said, I need help, dagnabbit!
>
> I'm trying to set up VPN on our network. I've got Mandrake 9.0 for the
> server and Win2k clients. I've also got FreeS/Wan on the server, and IPSEC
> looks like it's up and running - ipsec verify returns everything hunky.

I tried this, and couldn't get it work, everything claimed to be
installed and functioning, but it still wouldn't work.  After a week of
not getting it to work, I gave up.  There are other VPN implementations
out there.

> I have a Hawking firewall and it (supposedly) passes VPN traffic just fine.
> I had VPN installed on our last server (NT4) and VPN worked just fine.

The Windows implementation of VPN (uses Microsoft protocol, PPTP) is
very different from the FreeSwan implementation (uses ipsec, which must
be installed on the clients).  For the Windows version, I use PopTop
(check Source Forge) on the linux server and the native Windows
"Dial-up" VPN.  The drawback to this is the use of the GRE internet
protocol, which some firewalls have a tough time forwarding, and only
one GRE tunnel can be forwarded through a firewall at a time.

HTH

Derek Loree