[PLUG] (serial) terminal condition

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 20 23:03:17 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> Hi.

Jeme> Some of y'all helped me a week or so ago when I needed to wire a
Jeme> serial cable for an old(ish) ethernet switch to get to the
Jeme> management console.

Jeme> Well, for some reason or other, it didn't work.

Jeme> I'm pretty sure I wired the cable up properly (everything
Jeme> straight through except TxD->RxD & RxD->TxD... should something
Jeme> else be crossed over, too?  Maybe RTS->CTS?  I have no idea),
Jeme> but neither minicom nor hypterterminal gave me any output at all
Jeme> when I powered up the device and repeatedly struck the enter key
Jeme> (as the manual suggests).

Jeme> Does anyone have some reasonable steps I can go through to
Jeme> troubleshoot this?

Jeme> Would anyone here have and let me borrow a VT100 terminal that
Jeme> definitely works so I can at least reduce it to cable/switch
Jeme> (rather than software configuration) problems?

Jeme> Any help appreciated.

I don't know if this qualifies as "help" or not, but here goes a
couple ideas:

a) I once had trouble talking to a device, I think it was a Cisco 675,
   until I turned _off_ all flow control (hard and soft);

b) maybe you aren't supposed to cross transmit and receive (i.e.,
   whatever document you are looking at didn't intend you to).

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more