[PLUG] hiring full-time: PHP programmer

PHP freak php at hitmedia.com
Wed Nov 20 23:29:23 UTC 2002

> >>does $25/hour seem low to anyone else for PHP experience
> >
> > But then, we're just a little record store, not a Big Corporate Business.
> > Everyone else here works for $8/hr.
>
> So how much do you pay your lawyer?  Your doctor?

$0 to both.  Don't have either.

I think the point is also the difference between being a FREELANCE person hired PER PROJECT, where you're entirely responsible for your own taxes, health care, and you don't know if the project will be there for you next week - and being a STEADY EMPLOYEE, where it's a guaranteed steady thing, taxes and health care taken care of, etc.

If I was hiring a QUICK PROJECT person, I'd pay more.   But for a steady employee $25/hr is WAY high for me, it's the equivalent of hiring three new people at once, whereas this PHP work is something I COULD do myself (I already am, right now, and have been for 4 years), but need some extra help doing it now.

Blah blah blah... it's an incredibly cool job for someone who wants it.

--
Derek Sivers, CD Baby, Hostbaby
http://www.cdbaby.com