[PLUG] (serial) terminal condition

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Nov 21 00:54:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Don Buchholz wrote:
> 1)  Have you tried the "minimalist's" cable?
>      Just 3 wires:  TxD -> RxD;  RxD -> TxD;
>      and  GND -> GND.
>
>      Basically, this is the hardware equivalent of
>      Russell's (excellent) suggestion to turn flow
>      control off.

This I haven't tried.  I can do this in the morning.

> 2)  Your computer (or terminal) will be DTE.
>      Do you know if the hub/switch is DCE or DTE?
>      DCE ==> straight-thru cabling.
>      DTE ==> null-modem config
>
> IIRC, all that "clear to send", "terminal set ready",
> "data set ready" ... is *not* a straight thru connection
> for a DTE/DTE (i.e. null-modem) setup, and, in fact,
> it can mean stuff like a pin on one side is connected
> to *two* pins on the other!

I'm almost positive it's a DCE.  I called their support desk and the guy
talked to me (even though there's no kind of support contract for this
thing) and told me that he's pretty sure it's a DCE because it was
designed to be connected to a (real) VT100 terminal.  I know that doesn't
necessarily mean anything, but it's the best I've got so far.

> P.S. Any chance there is a URL to the manufacturers web site with info
> about the serial port?

I have the manual in PDF.  There are pin-outs for the RJ45 and they say
"use the connector in the kit" for connecting to a PC serial port or a
VT100 terminal.  Needless to say, "the kit" vanished probably a decade
ago.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin