[PLUG] hiring full-time: PHP programmer

Greg Robillard greg at green-mind.org
Thu Nov 21 01:10:34 UTC 2002

> $25/hr is more than I'm getting via Intel.  (Who just cut most
> contractors rates by 10%)  At least I'm getting benefits via my agency.

> I know I'm worth more than that, but I've also been looking and not
> getting any meaningful nibbles.
>
> For what it's worth, I think $25 would be a low rate for some
> programmers.  Closer to the intermediate or below than the intermediate
> to expert Derek wants.  But it is better than $0.  We do have a bit of a
> glut on our hands.  If I knew PHP, I'd be tempted.  On top of the $25
> you do have flexible hours which isn't too bad.

Which is partly what I was asking in my initial post. I've been living in
Portland for less than a year, and have been working only as a freelancer,
and spending a lot of time yoyo-ing my rates to figure out what's
reasonable. And I've seen Craig's List postings for PHP consultants for as
low as $12-$15. Which makes the job at starbucks with bennies start to look
good. Mm, all the coffee I want and I don't have to think.

Yes, even 12 bucks an hour is better than nothing, especially when rent is
due. And  I know we aren't in the heady days of 1999, when an HTML coder
could bring in $60/hr. But it is also not 1933 either, back when Perl was
the only scripting language around :)