[PLUG] 200Gig /home

Kyle Hayes kyle_hayes at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 21 03:24:13 UTC 2002

If all you want to do is concatenate or stripe your drives, the MD system
in Linux is just fine.  LVM is designed to do more than that.

I've used it to do things like near-instantaneous snapshots of live MySQL
databases.  That's where LVM really starts to shine.  You can also extend
live filesystems (some filesystems at any rate).  I haven't tried that
yet.  Lack of trust.  Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

LVM2 is in the 2.5 kernel (well device mapper is) and should provide a lot
of fixes for things that LVM1 didn't do so well.    That plus the EVMS
tools in userspace will make a lot of sysadmins happy.

The 200GB drives are supposed to be out this month I think.  Ten of those
and you're at about the limit of disk space that Linux can address (2TB
limit).

Best,
Kyle