[PLUG] (serial) terminal condition

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Nov 21 04:48:23 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> By the way, how do I get minicom to not "initialize" my device?
Jeme> Do I just null out the "modem init string" configuration (and
Jeme> the hangup, I assume)?

Here's what I use for a serial console.  I have an entry in
/etc/inittab:

  6:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -c 6 -w -- /usr/bin/minicom -o -c on serial-console

and then in /etc/minicom, I have a file called minirc.serial-console
that contains:

   # Machine-generated file - use "minicom -s" to change parameters.
   pr port             /dev/ttyS0
   pu baudrate         9600
   pu bits             8
   pu parity           N
   pu stopbits         1
   pu rtscts           No
   pu minit
   pu mreset
   pu mdialpre
   pu mdialsuf
   pu mdialpre2
   pu mdialsuf2
   pu mdialpre3
   pu mdialsuf3
   pu mconnect
   pu mnocon1
   pu mnocon2
   pu mnocon3
   pu mnocon4
   pu mhangup
   pu mdialcan

I created the serial-console "profile" (or whatever).  Probably by
starting minicom, changing parameters and then saving the config.

The inittab entry gives me a "virtual console" on Alt-F6 for the
machine I am monitoring by way of the serial console.  This was
screwing me up for a while, because when I wanted to reboot the other
machine, I was pressing Ctl-Alt-Del on the serial console and
rebooting my desktop box instead!  Oops!

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more