TCO, was Re: [PLUG] hiring full-time: PHP programmer

Mark Griskey mark at linuxhardware.net
Thu Nov 21 17:44:11 UTC 2002

Greetings,

I had been following the PHP programmer thread.  Yesterday, the discussion
turned to economics and then to whether it was Linux related or not.  It most
certainly is, one of the hot topics lately in all the IT rags has been the
debate over the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of the Linux operating system.
This group seems very diverse, and I'm sure a TCO discussion could benefit.

Lets face it, buying a $6.99 set of RedHat CDs at cheapbytes.com is far less
expensive than the proprietary alternatives.  But, this not only includes the
Operating System, but a full set of software, everything from databases to
Web servers, to email clients, graphics programs, etc.  Alternatively, if you
already have access broadband, you can just download the distro of your
choice, or get a copy from a friend.

Then there are the issues of system maintenance, uptime, etc.  I'm sure there
are varying experiences here, but we've all heard stories of long uptime on
Linux servers, (personally, I had a Web/database server up over two years
without a reboot, only to come down in a power outage).  Pepper this with
security, quality, and the benefits of open source code, I firmly believe
Linux comes out far ahead than the alternatives at a TCO of far less. And, as
far as tech support goes, you can beat the wealth of information on the Web,
Usenet or the local LUG.

Lets not forget that Linux runs on a variety of hardware old and new.  I have
a 3 year old laptop running Linux that is still rock solid, no complaints.  I
have seen some folks around give machine specs along with their question and
have noticed the 200MHz processors still in use.  "Dude, you're getting a
Dell", why?  My desktop is a bit old, but works fine.

This past summer, I decided to try Windows XP and explore .NET.  I had not
used Windows since Win95, and felt that in order to glean a fair opinion I
needed to try Microsoft's latest offering.  In short, as I said above, I
firmly believe Linux comes out ahead.  And its much cheaper.  Last week I was
thrilled after I installed XDarwin on my Mac OSX machine, and then through
the Fink project, install the Gimp, and the newsreader Pan.  Photoshop is
expensive, and I like the Gimp, am used to it, and it does exactly what I
want it to do. (For those of you who have seen Mac Gimp out there for $30,
you can get the Gimp through fink.sourceforge.net for exactly $30 LESS.)

Have a good day

Mark