[PLUG] hiring full-time: PHP programmer

Preston Crawford prestonc at crawfordsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 01:02:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Something to consider- how does ranting on PLUG help anything? Except sharing
> misery with friends, perhaps. :)   Again, I'm not in favor of getting all
> restrictive over keeping on topic. Me, I think it's better to not waste my
> energy pissing and moaning on PLUG and Slashdot and such about the state of
> the world, and to put those energies to work where they have a chance to do
> some good. Just because I don't talk about my various activisms here, for
> example, doesn't mean I'm sitting on my fat happy ass doing nothing.

Of course not. I try to effect change in my personal life as well. I
know I don't do enough, and wish I could find a way to affect greater
change.

Where I'm coming from, however, is this. Given that our nation is under
such a colossal assault from corrupt politicians and corporations I tend
to believe that while something may not expressly *help*, it never hurts
to disagree with the status quo. To weigh in. Because the more you weigh
in, the  more you dissent, the more you say, at the very least, "I don't
agree, this is why I don't agree." If enough people did that. If enough
people made their opinions known, then perhaps some would think a little
more about the little choices they make, the things they do, the things
they don't do. Perhaps it would make a difference. Perhaps not.

All I know, is that in times like these I don't want to passively allow
lies and half truths to go unchallenged. If a discussion arises and I have
the time to weigh-in, I will. And I won't begrudge someone else for doing
likewise. What this nation needs is more discussion, more dialogue, not
less. Even if it's a little OT. You can disagree, of course, but that's my
opinion.

Preston