[PLUG] SSH Server.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Nov 22 07:04:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 13:08, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> > Do you know about the "man" command?  I assume that by now you do...
> ><snip useless blah blah>
>
> Use Linux, and reap the pleasures of getting yelled at and insulted.

Karl's response pointed the inquisitor to a rich source of useful
information related to the original post.  I don't see how that's yelling
or insulting.

Now MY comment was sarcastic and uncalled-for, but it wasn't an attempt to
ridicule this person for lack of knowledge.  It was an attempt to ridicule
the person for not asking a question at all and playing this
passive-aggressive game wherein one whines about what they want and still
expects people to meet those needs without being directly asked.
Personally, I find such behavior not only rude, but indicative of serious
ego problems on the part of the whiner.

> Did it ever occur to you that not all people posting here have a good
> command of English?

Not that this was directed particularly at me, but I'd just like to say
that my response is related to the fact that there was no request, just an
expectation of service.

I understand that in some languages no change is made to a sentences
structure at all when a question is asked.  I have no idea if that's the
case with this person's native tongue, but throwing a question mark on the
end would have done it for me.

> You preach 'Linux is the best! Join us!', then jump all over people
> who don't write posts that meet your exacting standards.  That'll win
> people over, why, just think- if you insult ten newbies per day, who
> in turn each insult ten newbies, and so on, Linux will achieve world
> domination in no time.

Now, see, here's the REAL reason I replied to this post.

I (to take this last bit personally, however incorrect that may be) might
preach "GNU is the best!  Use Free Software!" and I surely will jump all
over a person who doesn't write posts that meet my exacting standards.
But I see those actions as complementary, not contradictory.  It's not
insulting to point out sloppiness in reason or laziness in activity and it
is exactly sloppy reasoning and laziness that prevent people from using
Free Software in the first place (exception: people with vastly different
priorities than I have; say, people who hate and wish harm to fall upon
others and themselves).

So having exacting standards and working uphold standards is the same
thing as encouraging Free Software, it's just the hard way.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net