[PLUG] hiring full-time: PHP programmer

Preston Crawford prestonc at crawfordsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 14:59:58 UTC 2002

On 22 Nov 2002, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Preston> It makes the conditions different, but all the same when I
> Preston> graduated from college my first job was $10/hour. Why $10?
> Preston> Because at the time it was the most money I'd ever made and
> Preston> given the extreme poverty from which I came I was happy to
> Preston> have it. That didn't make me a bad person. It made me poor
> Preston> and willing to take whatever I could get.
>
> No, but my comment was about the quality of person you could get at
> that discounted rate.  It's not someone I should trust with money or
> private information.

Isn't there some middle ground between complete trust and someone you
wouldn't trust? I mean, I've known some mediocre IT people that probably
make $60,000+. Hell, I worked with someone at one job who spent nearly the
entire day day-trading. Didn't do any actual work and he made almost 100
grand. This emphasis on what money you demand or what money some other
sucker was willing to pay you defining your worth is nonesense. That's my
point.

I may not have been an expert while seeking $10/hour, but I'm fairly
certain you could have placed a level of trust in my quality, if perhaps
slower skills at that time.

Preston