[PLUG] SSH Server.

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Fri Nov 22 18:24:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:30, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 13:08, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> > Do you know about the "man" command?  I assume that by now you do...
> ><snip useless blah blah>
>
> Use Linux, and reap the pleasures of getting yelled at and insulted. Hey,
> there's a recruiting pitch. K. Prasad, I hope you found the useful responses
> in this thread.

I hate it when people scream about rudeness and meanness when somebody
tries to explain how to find an answer to a question instead of just
spewing forth the answer to the question.

This is far too common in the computing world.  People have a question,
they ask it, and then they get an answer, hand-holding them through the
whole thing.  They then learn absolutely nothing that could help them in
their next project (like... say... an NNTP server?)... and when the next
obsticle appears, they're dependent upon free tech support to solve it.

If, instead of being told exactly what to do, they're told where to look
for the answer to their question... chances are they'll look there the
next time and won't have to ask for help.  Eventually they'll get to the
point where they can start helping other people with their questions.

But no, Carla, this is the rude way to do things, huh?

Give a man a fish and he is fed for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he
is never hungry again.

If you were saying Karl was being rude in the specific language used - I
didn't read it as being rude at all.  You should have learned by now
that Internet communications are prone to being mis-interpreted - we
don't have tone or body language to help set the mood.  That makes it
somewhat stupid to jump on somebody in things like this - where it could
be questionable what tone the poster was posting in.

Rob

--
AthlonRob <athlonrob at data.4t3.com>