[PLUG] Finding relevant RFC's on www.pdxlinux.org.

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Fri Nov 22 23:08:21 UTC 2002

For our convenience, I've installed the Debian packages containing the
Internet RFC documents on the PLUG web server.

http://www.pdxlinux.org/doc/RFC/
http://www.pdxlinux.org/doc/RFC/rfc-index.txt.gz

You can use your browser's text search function (Ctrl-f in Galeon and
Mozilla) to search for stuff, then get the RFC number.

Try looking for "subnet", "cidr", "route", etc.  The actual RFC's can be
found via the attached script.  It uses "galeon -n" as written, or you
can edit it and make it use "gnome-moz-remote" or whatever you like.
Install it in /usr/local/bin, and you'll always have it available.

I use Gnome, and have replaced the little foot menu on my lower panel
with the "mini_commander" applet.  It lets you set up match expressions
and commands to run when an expression you type there matches.  I have
it match the expression "^[rR][fF][cC] *([0-9]+)" and have that run
"moz-remote-rfc-by-number \1".  Now I can type or paste a string like
"rfc1219" into the mini commander, and Galeon visits that RFC in the
blink of an eye.

http://new.pdxlinux.org/search.html

... should locate RFC's also.  For instance, try typing "subnet" into
the search box there.