[PLUG] Upgrade doesn't touch /home, eh?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 23 19:16:37 UTC 2002

  I've not used emacs since I upgraded from RH 6.2 to 7.3 at the beginning
of September. It was an unpleasant surprise this morning to discover that
Red Hat replace my entire ~/.emacs with it's shitty -- and inappropriate --
new version. I'm royally pissed at this! I cannot recall an upgrade in the
past 5 years where Red Hat replaced an existing config file -- especially in
a user's home/ directory -- without saving the old one or just adding the
new one as *.rpmnew.

  I've lost all the custom colors and control key movements that I had
carefully added over time. The "new, improved" version 21.<whatever> doesn't
tell me what column the cursor is on and I no longer can match a
parenthesis, brace, bracket or angle-bracket by typing the '%' key or by
pressing alt-ctrl-n and ...-p.

  This replacement without saving is a major flaw and I'll find someone at
Red Hat who should learn of this.

Not a happy camper,