[PLUG] Upgrade doesn't touch /home, eh?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Sat Nov 23 20:17:29 UTC 2002

Do you have a .emacs~ backup file laying around from the last time you
edited your .emacs file in emacs? My .emacs and .bash_profile files
have followed me from job to job over the years and would hate to lose
them.

One thing I do for my critcal text files is to put them into revision
control using RCS. I find this very handy as it makes it difficult for
me to completely lose a file as I can always go back to an older
working version if I find my newer version doesn't work for me. Theres
no way that a system upgrade will touch my RCS files so I won't lose
any critical files even if my system upgrade changes on of them.

I would have to give Red Hat two thumbs down for going through user
directories and changing or removing user configuration files without
saving the old file as a backup. Since no .rpmnew file was created it
makes me wonder if it was something other than "rpm" that did the
damage. There might have been some post install script or something
that did this. I suppose they could have had emacs do when you first
started it up as well I don't really know.

Tony