[PLUG] BRU backup with CRU crash recovery

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at dOink.COM
Sun Nov 24 16:19:54 UTC 2002

I'm using BRU for backup and CRU for crash recovery.  CRU initiates a
BRU backup for use in the crash recovery process.  In the 'cru'
script there's this note:

# This is the CRU main startup script.  It is run on the host system and calls
# the other elements to create the boot and root disks, as well as perform a
# full CRU-compatible backup.
#
# NOTE: It is very important that the 'crubackup' script be used to create
#       the recovery backup.  While it is possible to MANUALLY recover from
#       a standard BRU backup, the automated recovery requires that the backup
#       be created in a specific manner for proper operation.

Looking further in the script it calls 'dobackup' which calls 'bru'
like this:

bru -cvvv -O -A -m -R -f ${DEVICE} -L "CRU system backup" - </tmp/CRU.backup

which looks more or less like a vanilla 'bru' command line.  About a
month ago I sent an email to the BRU support line, since I'm a paying
customer, asking them what's special about the backup initiated by
CRU.  I haven't heard anything back yet.  I'd like to add the option
to use compression to the above command line since w/o compression
the backup takes twice as many tapes and twice as long to complete.

Any thoughts?   Thanks....