[PLUG] NFS problem

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Mon Nov 25 18:11:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Terrel Woolbright wrote:

> Good morning everyone. I need help with a class lab assignment. I am
> supposed to get nfs running on two machines, be able to mount a
> directory on the server...and so on. I have nfs compiled into both
> kernels and it shows up in the /proc/filesystems file. I have
> mounted directories on the server box that show up in the /etc/fstab
> file. When I try to mount a directory from the client side I get
> this error:  mount: 10.0.0.40: failed, reason given by server,
> Permission denied.

I'd be interested to know what it says in /var/log/messages on the
server. There are a couple things to look at:

* the Linux portmap is typically compiled against libwrap, so you'll
  need to make sure that /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} allow incoming
  connections from your client

* sometimes, /var/lib/nfs/*tab will store old/errant information about
  which machines are mounting what, and new mounts will stall. A
  reboot can help or, if you're up to it, pop rmtab into a text
  editor, remove current references to your client system, and retry
  the mount operation

* double-check that there are no ipchains or iptables rules that would
  prohibit your client from accessing the server

* check the troubleshooting section of the nfs FAQ:

    http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/troubleshooting.html

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>