[PLUG] Citeseer, DjVu - Finding CS research publications on the net.

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Mon Nov 25 18:32:30 UTC 2002

One more for the RTFM department:

If you are a CS student or professional, you need to know about:

 http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs

It's the BEST way to find research articles in the Computer Science
field.  I wonder if there are any similar sites, using the same
software, holding collections of articles for other sciences?

I've found that the best document format for reading many of these is
DjVu.  It's the fastest one, and works well with older papers that have
been scanned from paper hardcopy, like the older MIT AI memos.  Many of
the PDF files are hard to read since they've been converted from
postscript, and don't contain very good fonts.

To use DjVu, if you run Debian GNU/Linux, you can use "apt-get" to
install:

djview - utilities for the extraordinary DjVu image format
djvulibre-bin - utilities for the extraordinary DjVu image format
djvulibre-plugin - browser plugin for the extraordinary DjVu image format

¿Are there similar packages available for those using other Linux
distributions?