[PLUG] Please, it's not GNU/Linux

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Nov 26 03:53:17 UTC 2002

Out of respect for the work that Linus has created, I ask
that we not cow-tow to RMS.

It's fine to say GCC and GNU Emacs.  But Linux is Linux.  The GNU
project had nothing to do with it, any more than Portland General had
to do with this message just because my computer is plugged in to the
wall, or Apple because I'm typing on a powerbook.

I met Linus recently.  He actually said the words "Randal, I will
have to kill you now" when I was joking around and said "GNU/Linux".
Given the amount of restraint he showed the rest of the week,
that statement was damning.

Please, out of respect for Linus, it's just "Linux".  Thank you.