[PLUG] BRU backup with CRU crash recovery

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 26 04:16:13 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Galen" == Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> writes:

Russell> Just for reference, I just recently bought a Seagate
Russell> "Scorpion" DDS3 12/24gig tape drive for about $230.  Needs
Russell> SCSI of course.  Tapes were about $6 each.

Galen> Can you tell us where you got this?  Is it a new drive?
Galen> Perhaps you know a place to get an autoloader for a reasonable
Galen> price.

  <http://www.componentsdirect.com/>

They are a little squirrelly with their product numbering.  For
example, they call their external version a 224000N also, even though
Seagate calls their external version a 624000N.

Another thing, the unit I got was an "internal" with a 5.25-inch
bezel.  Even though Seagate sells different bezels and their own
literature tells you how to dismantle various things, the unit I got
came with warranty "dots" ("warranty void if broken") that connected
the mechanism body with the steel mounting rails it came with in such
a way as to preclude changing the bezel.  Since they were patently
absurd, I didn't hesitate to break them anyway to remove the mounting
rails.

Another curiosity is that the refurb is selling for the same prices as
new, which casts a little doubt on the newness.  I must say though,
our unit gave every appearance of mint condition.

When I bought our first 12/24gig DDS3 five years ago or so, it was
nearly $1k, so $229 seemed worth the risk.

And sorry, I don't have any information autoloaders.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more