[PLUG] Please, it's not GNU/Linux

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Nov 26 09:35:29 UTC 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Out of respect for the work that Linus has created, I ask that we not
> cow-tow to RMS.

Out of respect for the principles of the Free Software Foundation and the
GNU project, I ask that we not ignore their contribution.

> It's fine to say GCC and GNU Emacs.  But Linux is Linux.

Linux is a kernel.  I'm perfectly happy calling Linux "Linux".

But the operating system I run is GNU on top of a Linux kernel.

> The GNU project had nothing to do with it, any more than Portland
> General had to do with this message just because my computer is
> plugged in to the wall, or Apple because I'm typing on a powerbook.

The kernel, maybe... but the operating system most of us run is more GNU
than Linux.

And isn't true that Linus intentionally modified the source of Linux to
run GNU software as written, without porting, because it was easier than
porting each piece of GNU software to Linux?

> I met Linus recently.  He actually said the words "Randal, I will have
> to kill you now" when I was joking around and said "GNU/Linux". Given
> the amount of restraint he showed the rest of the week, that statement
> was damning.

So Linus' opinion differs from mine and just about everyone else that
cares about the future of freedom and culture.  That's nothing new.

> Please, out of respect for Linus, it's just "Linux".  Thank you.

As a programmer, sure, props to the man who put in the effort and
(somewhat) manages the project.  As a human being, sure, I will defend his
rights as staunchly as any other person.

But I have absolutely no respect for Linus' lack of vision and social
consciousness.  I think that he is essentially short-sighted and selfish.
I feel he turned his back on an opportunity to serve mankind by taking a
place as champion of Freedom.  Instead, he giggles and titles his book
"Just For Fun".  The man squandered perhaps a once-in-a-generation chance
at revolution.

Personally, I think there's still time and opportunity for him to redeem
himself, but he shows no sign of taking it... not from where I sit.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net