[PLUG] Mandrake + Win2K + VPN = need help

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Nov 27 00:35:06 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 14:49, Michael Luevane wrote:
> Well, I managed to get a connection to the VPN server.
> I used PoPToP, as recommended by another list person.

Your welcome :)

> Now for the "but..." portion of this post:
>
> I can connect, but it's not an encrypted VPN session - I'm working on that
> part.

You need to look for something called MPPE, this is the native Micro$oft
encryption.  The corporate side of the VPN connection needs to
understand it as well, I had to patch the kernel on the linux box that I
set up for this.

> The second and REALLY the problem is that I connect, but I only have TCP/IP
> to use. I can't do "net use K: \\server\share and have it create the share.
> I believe it's a Netbios issue - Netbios isn't going over the wire.

If you can ping the WINS server, you should be able to browse the
network.  Try using the "Find Computer" tool instead of net use K: (and
specify the ip address of the computer you are trying to share files
with, not the NETBIOS name, you can use the name once your remote
machine has participated in a NETBIOS election or revelation or
obfuscation or whatever you want to call it.)

Remember, that NETBIOS is not a service that updates its list of hosts
instantly, it can take up to half an hour.

If that doesn't work, send us a diagram of the parts of your network
that you are using to try to establish this connection, please specify
what OS is on each piece of equipment and where the private ip addresses
get translated to public ip addresses.

> I'm sure I need to give oodles more information to get a coherent answer,
> but I'm just looking for someplace to start looking. I've done web searches
> and it's not a subject that I've seen alot on. At least, nothing *very*
> recent.

HTH

Derek Loree