[PLUG] Mandrake + Win2K + VPN = need help

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Nov 27 02:08:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 17:08, Michael Luevane wrote:
> Thanks. I've already got MPPE working. I think ;) I am working with getting
> certificates going and all that.

No need for certificates, mppe just happens, it is an encryption scheme,
not an authentication scheme.  You should be able to tell by looking at
the properties of the connection from the Win2k Side.
> I'll look tonight at the "Find computer" - I forgot about that - thanks :)
>
> Here's the setup:
>
> Home (Win2k, SP2) <-> Cable modem <-> Internet <-> Firewall/DSL router/NAT
> <-> Server (Linux 2.4.19, Mandrake 9.0)

Do you have a server designated as the WINS server?  Is the Linux server
the end point of the VPN, or the DSL router?

The setup I have, which allows more than one roadwarrior to connect to
the corporate LAN looks like this:

Road (Win2k)/VPN <------> Internet <------> Linux box/firewall/NAT/VPN

If the Roadwarrior is behind a firewall, that firewall needs to have GRE
protocol forwarded (which Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing
appears to have by default).  This forwarding is the reason only one
Roadwarrior can connect through that firewall.  I can have lots
(hundreds, I think) of Roadwarriors connect to the Linux box.

> Repeat the mantra: I will make it work... I will make it work...I will make
> it work...

It will work... it will...

Derek Loree