[PLUG] Resolved: RH 8.0 Kernel Compiling

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed Nov 27 05:46:52 UTC 2002

Richard Steffens wrote:

> For the first go at it, I'm following the
> instructions I finally found at:
> http://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/redhat/8.0/

Resolved may be too strong a word when it comes to kernel compiling. I'm
sure that I have much more to learn. However, for now, I'm a happy
camper. I started the process at about 4:20 this afternoon and I
rebooted at about 9:30 this evening. The only thing I changed from a
stock configuration was to specify that I have a K6 processor. Now,
instead of having a sluggish response, I get nice, smooth tracking with
the mouse, and speedy web page loading, like I expected I should.
However, when applying an edge detect filter in the GIMP, my 400 Mhz
Celeron Thinkpad is still faster than this 550 Mhz K6. So, I assume that
there are more things to understand if I want to get everything I should
be able to out of this machine.

Thanks to all for the advice. Any further ideas on what options to tweak
will be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens