[PLUG] Resolved: RH 8.0 Kernel Compiling

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed Nov 27 16:18:28 UTC 2002

Richard Steffens wrote:

> However, when applying an edge detect filter in the GIMP, my 400 Mhz
> Celeron Thinkpad is still faster than this 550 Mhz K6. So, I assume that
> there are more things to understand if I want to get everything I should
> be able to out of this machine.

I just remembered that there is another difference between my Thinkpad
and my desktop machines: memory. The Thinkpad has 96 Mb and the desktop
has 64 Mb. I'll have to add some memory to the desktop and see what
happens. I'm guessing that the GIMP tends to use a lot of memory for
editing images, and that, combined with all the stock stuff in RH 8.0,
means that 64 Mb isn't enough. The sleeve from the RH 8.0 evaluation
CD's says that 64 Mb is the  minimum memory required for text-mode, the
minimum for graphics is 128 Mb, and the recommended for graphics is 192
Mb. I'll have to see just how much I can stuff into that odd
motherboard.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens