[PLUG] New MWVLUG Web Sight!

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Thu Nov 28 05:09:45 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 17:20, David Mandel wrote:

[snip]

>     (1)  Good site.  I like it.

Thank you!

>     (2)  Regarding the old site at lug.peak.org
>
>          -  Is there information on this site that needs to be moved to
>             the new site?

Yes, there's quite a bit of content there. I will spend some of the
holiday weekend moving that information to the new site; there's some
valuable stuff there that I feel needs to be kept.

I have begun this process with the ``past meetings'' link. I intend to
give the sight a seemless look with both the old and new information.

There are other things I wish to do, such as a beginner level FAQ,
screenshots, and more links pointing to poplular Linux sights.

That reminds me. If you guys have an article or piece you'd like to
share, just click the ``submit story'' button; I'll likely post it.

>          -  Moving a site is a pain.

No doubt. I'm learning this the hard way. I may automate this. :-)

>             I assume that lots and lots of people link to lug.peak.org.
>             Thus, you should keep this site as long as possible and link
>             or redirect people to the new site.

This is a really good point. I hope to chat with John briefly after the
meeting about this if he can make it.

>             (Along these lines, I still have people trying to find me
>             at my transport.com address and I haven't had anything there
>             in several years.)

Put a packet sniffer in front transport.com's router. That way you can
redirect traffic intended for you ;-).

>     (3)  Interestingly the old site links to our failed conference attempt
>          at www.LinuxNorthWest.org
>          We gave up this domain and it was picked up by someone in the
>          Tacoma area.  It is now being used for a conference planned
>          for Bellingham, Washington.  I intend to talk to them one of
>          these days to see if we help them in anyway.

It looks like it's co-sponsored by the LUGS up there, too.. Bellingham,
Tacoma, Seattle, etc.

-Cooper