[PLUG] kde AND gnome?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Nov 28 14:20:16 UTC 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Paul Johnston wrote:

> Will soon be doing a custom install of Red Hat 7.3.  I've always
> used Gnome in the past, but this time would like to have KDE
> available to see what it is like.
>
> Will the two desktop environments coexsist peacefully?

Yes. I install both in my standard configuration at work and have
never had a problem.

> If so, how do you switch between the default desktop and the
> alternative?

The switchdesk utility should be able to handle it for you. Try the
switchdesk(1) man page for info.

One note. I myself run Xfce, but occasionally make use of GNOME or KDE
apps. (Xfce will automatically build GNOME and KDE app lists for its
popup menus. Very sweet. Uh, but where was I? Oh, ...)

I really like a number of the KDE apps, but they're tied pretty
tightly into the KDE messaging system, DCOP. If you're running the KDE
desktop, DCOP is already running, but if you're running GNOME or
something else, it isn't. So if you're running GNOME and you start up,
say, kghostview and then run ps, you'll see a half-dozen of 'kdeinit'
entries. They'll go away shortly after you quit kghostview.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>