[PLUG] GCC Woes

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Thu Nov 28 23:37:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 15:03, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> On Thursday 28 November 2002 02:48 pm, AthlonRob wrote:
> > Hey everybody-
> >
> > I'm in a bit of a bind with gcc versions.
> >
> > I'm trying to compile the ICQv7 transport for my Jabber server.
> >
> > It says it will compile with gcc 2.95.3, but seg faults a lot... it is
> > all C++.  It requires gcc 2.95.4 or better, but less than 3.2.
>
> The README file says "gcc-3 recommended". It ought to work with 3.2.
> Esspecially if it works with 3.1, as 3.2 is, mostly, just an ABI change.

Yep... it *should* work with 3.2, but that readme was written before 3.2
was close to release.

There's a patch available that is supposed to fix a few problems it has
with gcc 3.2, but it broke many things for me... my guess is that patch
was for something in CVS or the stable release - it didn't really say.

But, even if I did build it with 3.2, odds are it wouldn't work for my
gcc 2.95.3-compiled jabber server - due to the ABI change, binaries
created with GCC 3.2 are generally incompatable with binaries created by
2.95.

This whole thing is a little nuts... lol...  :-)

--
AthlonRob <athlonrob at data.4t3.com>