[PLUG] GCC Woes

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Fri Nov 29 01:05:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 14:48, AthlonRob wrote:
> So......... does anybody either:  have gcc 2.95.4 running on a system
> with libsigc++ version 1.0.0 or above and glibc 2.2.5 who wouldn't mind
> compiling a few things for me... or happen to know where I can grab the
> source for 2.95.4?  I can't use an srpm or source deb file - I need the
> actual tarball (or a bzball).

Well, if Debian is using 2.95.4, they also have the source.  Debian
source files come in three peices.  There's an .orig.tar.gz, a .dsc, and
often a .diff.gz file.  All three are needed to create a Debian package
from that source.  The .orig.tar.gz is the upstream source.  The
.diff.gz contains a "diff -u" between the upstream and the Debian
version.  The .dsc is a "debian source control" file, used by
"dpkg-source" to verify and patch the source, in preparation for
building it.  There is also a newer source format, where the patches and
upstream tarfiles are contained in the .orig.tar.gz, and there is not a
.diff.gz.  In either case, you don't need special tools to get the
upstream source code out of the package.

Both gcc 3.2 and 2.95.4 are installed on drizzle.pdxlinux.org.  You can
"apt-get source jabber" there also, and see what the Debian maintainer
did to get it to compile.

Do you have an account on drizzle?  If not, email me your username, full
name, daytime telephone number, and ssh protocol 2 public key
(id_dsa.pub).  I'll create an account for you then.  It's not a super
fast box, but you CAN build software there.