[PLUG] GCC Woes

AthlonRob athlonrob at data.4t3.com
Fri Nov 29 05:01:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 17:05, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> Well, if Debian is using 2.95.4, they also have the source.  Debian
> source files come in three peices.  There's an .orig.tar.gz, a .dsc, and
> often a .diff.gz file.  All three are needed to create a Debian package
> from that source.  The .orig.tar.gz is the upstream source.  The
> .diff.gz contains a "diff -u" between the upstream and the Debian
> version.  The .dsc is a "debian source control" file, used by
> "dpkg-source" to verify and patch the source, in preparation for
> building it.  There is also a newer source format, where the patches and
> upstream tarfiles are contained in the .orig.tar.gz, and there is not a
> .diff.gz.  In either case, you don't need special tools to get the
> upstream source code out of the package.

Ok, looks like that might be the way for me to at least get myself a
tarball to work with... where would I find the said tarball?  :-)

> Both gcc 3.2 and 2.95.4 are installed on drizzle.pdxlinux.org.  You can
> "apt-get source jabber" there also, and see what the Debian maintainer
> did to get it to compile.

I have jabber compiled - no sweat... what I'm trying to get compiled is
a no-longer-maintained jabber transport to icq.

Jabber is way super cool - if you've never played with it, I'd suggest
grabbing it and playing with it.  All your IM accounts (Yahoo, AIM, ICQ,
MSN, even IRC) under one login.....

> Do you have an account on drizzle?  If not, email me your username, full
> name, daytime telephone number, and ssh protocol 2 public key
> (id_dsa.pub).  I'll create an account for you then.  It's not a super
> fast box, but you CAN build software there.

I do indeed have an account... and am compiling at the moment.  It's
definitely harder to get something like this working when you don't have
root access... lol... I needed libsigc++ for libicq2000, and man... what
a bear to get it living nicely in my home directory!

I did finally force that in to working and got libicq stuff compiled,
now I'm putting jabber in my home directory, then I'll fight the icqv7
transport - which is the final thing I need.  I just hope I don't run in
to too many library problems between Debian and Slackware.  What glibc
version is Drizzle under?

Anyway... it's going... thanks for providing it for stuff like this.
:-)

--
AthlonRob <athlonrob at data.4t3.com>