[PLUG] Identifying installed video board

Nicholas Knight nknight at pocketinet.com
Sat Nov 30 01:18:58 UTC 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 04:48 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   So, I should get a replacement AGP video board. Any recommendations for a
> low-end one?

How low-end?

There's older ATi Xpert and Radeon cards out there in the $30-40 range, but
they'd be of questionable performance for 3D loads.

Googlegear also has a 32MB GeForce2 MX-200 for $50. TNT2 M64 cards for $33.
GeForce4 MX's will run you anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on the card
and will give reasonable 3D performance. In the somewhat higher-end, GeForce4
Ti 4200's (great cards, my desktop uses one) can be found for as little as
$120.

Finding new (as in, not used) cards under $30 that will work might be
possible, but you'll have to look a bit to find them. I imagine you might be
able to find used TNT's, Voodoo Banshees, and even GF2MX's for little or no
cost if you looked hard enough.

You could also say to heck with AGP and talk somebody out of an old PCI video
card if you're just looking for 2D work, I'm sure there's plenty of people
out there with more of the things than they know what to do with.