[PLUG] Changing computer name

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Nov 30 05:05:19 UTC 2002

On 29 Nov 2002, Robbert van Andel wrote:
> How do I change the name of my computer so I don't keep seeing
> localhost.localdomain.  I'm running RedHat 7.3.  I have tried changing
> /etc/hosts but could not boot into gnome afterwards.  I attempted to
> change the localhost after localhost.localdomain so it read:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain dell
>
> But still showed localhost.local even after rebooting.
>
> Any suggestions?

Somewhere in your initialization scripts (/etc/rc<X>.d) your hostname is
set with the "hostname" utility.  You'll also want the information in your
/etc/hosts to match the hostname associated with each IP address (external
addresses, really... the loopback addresses can USUALLY be almost
anything).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin