[PLUG] Apache UserDir not translating paths to /home/username

David Fleck dcf at aracnet.com
Sat Nov 30 20:11:58 UTC 2002

I don't normally run Apache on my home desktop, but I'm using it to test
some CGI.  On a whim, I decided to make use of the UserDir directive.
So, in httpd.conf, I:

1) uncommented:
UserDir public_html

2) added:
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    Options all
</Directory>

3) made sure /home/joe/public_html existed & had 777 perms.

4) stuck an index.html file in /home/joe/public_html.

5) fired up apache.

Browsing to http://localhost/~joe got me a 404 error:
File does not exist: /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/~joe

notice that the path isn't translated at all.

The UserDir module appears to be ok, though - here's the relevant bit
from http://localhost/server-info:

Module Name: mod_userdir.c
Content handlers: none
Configuration Phase Participation: Create Server Config
Request Phase Participation: Translate Path
Module Directives:
UserDir - the public subdirectory in users' home directories, or
'disabled', or 'disabled username username...', or 'enabled username
username...' Current Configuration:
httpd.conf
UserDir public_html

Anyone have any ideas why ~joe isn't becoming /home/joe/public_html?

(I don't even need to use the damned feature, I just want it to work...)

--
 David Fleck
 dcf at aracnet.com