[PLUG] Help with Sparc kernel recompile

Brendan Miller brmiller at kudzuforest.com
Tue Oct 1 23:53:03 UTC 2002

> > I'm attempting to recompile the kernel for my Sparc20.  I picked
> > 2.4.9 because, well, it's listed at the bottom (vs. 2.4.19 which are
> > listed near the top) ;-)
> >
> > When it comes to the actual compile, 'make bzImage' and 'make zImage'
> > fail.  In my research this appears to be because I dont have x86
> > architecture.  I have seen suggestions for both 'make boot' and 'make
> > vmlinux'.  Both seem to do the same thing (fail at the end because
> > 2.4.9's vt.c header is broken for Sparc).

The ultralinux.org link will give you pointers on the proper way to build
kernels on a sparc.  I don't think you use the make lilo/boot/zImage/bzImage
that you use on x86.  I think just "make" is all, and then copy the kernel
to the Right Place for silo to find it.  (It's been awhile.)

But does anyone know if they ever fixed the 2.4 kernel series to build on
sparc?  For ahwhile it was broke, and the vt.c header problem seems
indicative of a generic kernel source for sparc issue as opposed to the
proper make incantation.

Check some spark lists and see if they ever got 2.4 properly ported to
sparc.  I ran 2.2.18 'cause 2.4.x was broke so long.

Brendan