[PLUG] Slapper.C

Patrick Beart patrick at WebArchitecture.com
Wed Oct 2 02:27:10 UTC 2002

At 7:04 PM -0700 10/1/02, Richard Langis wrote:
>While that may be true with RH-derivitives, Debian restarts just
>about everything (even pcmcia on a laptop getting sources from the
>network, grrr) when it upgrades.
>
>IMHO, that's the way it SHOULD be, anyway.  Why upgrade if you're
>not going to start using the upgraded packages?

	You answered your own question with your "pcmcia" (sic) comment.  ;-)

	If the upgrade (process) only restarted daemons from upgraded
applications, that would be fine and certainly prevent absent-minded
omissions such as the one that Keith experienced. OTOH, if the
upgrade ALWAYS restarted the entire box (server, workstation,
whatever), then you'd have a Windows-like process that reboots every
time you breath on it.

	Some people set up cron to run (Red Hat's) "up2date" at
regular intervals (e.g. weekly). That kind of down time (for weekly
reboots) would adversely impact a commercial server unless the admin
was very careful about the timing of the upgrade. A 5 minute reboot,
once a week, drops a server's uptime to less than 99%, annually (over
4 hours/yr).

Patrick Beart

>Rich Shepard wrote:
>>  Keith,
>>
>>   While I don't run httpd, I don't know of any package that restarts the
>>running daemon upon upgrade or freshen. I've always done this manually.
>>
>>Rich

Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell