[PLUG] Log rotation: almost, but not quite

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 2 13:50:15 UTC 2002

  Progress is being made, but I'm still not where I want to be.

  The logs were rotated again this morning, according to
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate's report mailed to root (and forwarded to me).
However, /var/log/maillog was _not_ rotated.

  I took /var/log/maillog out of /etc/logrotate.d/syslog, but it remains as
a separate script in that directory.

  Let me see if I have this correct:
	cron calls /etc/cron.daily
	/etc/cron.daily includes both 1postfix (the mail log analyzer) and
		logrotate. So the mail log is analyzed before it's
		rotated. That's fine; should be only the previous 24 hrs.
	/etc/cron.daily/logrotate is a shell script that invokes
		/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
	/etc/logrotate.conf includes /etc/logrotate.d
	/etc/logrotate.d/ is a directory that contains scripts for:
		junkbuster  maillog  mgetty  psacct  rpm  samba  snmpd  syslog  uucp

  And we've come full circle: the /etc/logrotate.d/maillog script is not being
called, apparently. That script calls for daily rotation of
/var/log/maillog.

  If I have this correct, then I'm at a complete loss to understand why the
last step is not taken. Can someone nudge me in the right direction, please?

Thanks,