[PLUG] Log rotation: almost, but not quite

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Oct 2 14:41:03 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Progress is being made, but I'm still not where I want to be.

>   And we've come full circle: the /etc/logrotate.d/maillog script is
> not being called, apparently. That script calls for daily rotation of
> /var/log/maillog.

Hold the presses.  I too am fighting a logrotate issue and noticed while
looking at your problem (and mine) that somewhere along the line the mail
logs have been moved from /var/log to /var/log/mail.
   Looking in /etc/syslog.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/syslog and a mail
stats script there are some differences.  Some are looking at
/var/log/maillog and some at /var/log/mail/maillog.
   Are we rotating one file (or at least trying to) and analyzing
another?

>   If I have this correct, then I'm at a complete loss to understand
> why the last step is not taken. Can someone nudge me in the right
> direction, please?

Evil magic?

Rod