[PLUG] Log rotation: almost, but not quite

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Oct 2 18:50:15 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, alan wrote:

> Well, if it did not solve his problem, it may have solved mine.

Serendipity!

> Logrotate was going out and trying to read about 10,000 bogus error
> messages in a directory that no longer existed.  Hopefully nuking the
> status file will end that behaviour.  (The process would wedge with 99%
> cpu usage.)

This file is only used to keep track of the last (successful?) rotation to
the best of my knowledge.  You should also look at all the files
associated with logrotate to make sure those bogus entries (non-existent
directories ) aren't in one of them.
   I do vaguely remember problems with entries in
/var/lib/logrotate.status but that has been years ago.  Let me know if you
_don't_ find the bogus directories in the other logrotate files.

Rod