[PLUG] Motherboard advice

Russell Evans revans at e-z.net
Thu Oct 3 03:30:16 UTC 2002

POOR = ECS K7S5A + Duron  lan/audio in MB

Watch the ads and you can pick up the MB and 1.2 Duron for $79, Fry's had some
$30 32M TNT video cards with $20 mail in. With 256 Mb DDR ( no name Fry's  ) at
$42, $79 Samsung 48x12x48 ( CompUSA ) with $50 mail in and $35 case from ENU, I
put together a couple of boxes for ~$281. I had some 265 DRAM I wanted to use
in the MB but couldn't get to work. I don't know if it was me, the MB or the
RAM.

Watch the ads and you can pick up the MB for $49 and put whatever AMD you want
with it. I think this is the cheapest board in town but a friend is using the
MSI KLE133 Audio Video LAN ATA100 from ENU $62 for Windows systems. With the
savings of video card this might be a better deal.

He was able to put together a Athlon 1700+ XP with 256 Mb Ram, 40G drive, cheap
cdrom ( can't remember the spec ) for, I think he said ~$245. The video is
NVidia so it should work with Linux but I can't say for sure this MB works with
Linux.

Those are the cheapest systems I know of.

If you have the cash the 7200 RPM 80G Western digital with 8M buffer is really
fast. $120 ( ENU ) and 1.5 times faster than the 7200 40G Western Digital it
replaced. ( I used the 40G in the new box ) Fry's was selling the 80G for $139
with $40 mail in. $99 pug $.34 is pretty nice ( I remember paying more than I
could spare at the time, for a 230M disk, so if this doesn't seem all that
great please take into account my being around when 8M ram was something I
thought I would buy after I won the lottery. )

Thank you
Russell