[PLUG] Booting of multiple OS

John Hampton John.Hampton at gijoes.com
Thu Oct 3 16:18:19 UTC 2002

Jim wrote:
>do you know whether I can create 3 partitions and install Windows first and
>then Linux and BSD on the other 2 partitions?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: I would create more than 3 partitions.  First, I've never done anything with the BSDs so I'm not sure what an optimal partitioning scheme would look like to them.  But here is what I would do for the windows/linux partitions: First, I would make small /boot partitions (one for linux and one for the BSD) close to the beginning of the drive (under the 1024 cylinder limit).  While this isn't absolutely necessary with newer BIOSes, it eliminates the possibility of a problem.  Next I would make sure that my Windows partition starts under the 1024 cylinder limit. Then I would create a swap partition for linux and perhaps for the BSD (I don't know whether BSD does swap files, or whatever.  Like I said, I'm not familiar with it). Finally I would make my / partitions for linux and BSD.  Depending on what you are planning on using linux for and how many different distros you'll want to try, you might think about making a separate partition for /home.  Up to you though.  I hope that this helped.

John Hampton
Programmer Analyst
G.I. Joe's, Inc.
john.hampton at gijoes.com