[PLUG] RE: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #822 - 10 msgs

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Oct 3 21:48:44 UTC 2002

Michael Luevane wrote:

>that said it WAS possible to use software raid with the Promise
>controllers.

That was never in question, and I'm sorry if my answers gave the
impression that I said that.

My point was that if you are using the hardware raid features of the
Promise card, then you don't need the software raid features of the kernel.

If you are using the software raid features of the kernel, then you are
using the Promise card as a standard EIDE controller, and not a raid
controller. You may or may not see a performance hit by doing it this way.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Random thought #11 (Collect all 17)
"Every year, back comes Spring, with nasty little birds yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants." - Dorothy Parker