[PLUG] rpm

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Oct 4 23:56:49 UTC 2002

Dirk Ouellette wrote:

> If I run #rpm -Uvh when I'm installing RH 8.0 rpms over RH 7.3 , will
> all of the rpms be installed or just the updated versions of 7.3 that
> Ialready have?  Does this question make sense?

If you run #rpm -Uvh * on a directory that contains all of the rpms on
the 3 RH 8.0 disks, you will indeed install EVERYTHING in that directory.

If, however, you run #rpm -Fvh on that same directory, you will only
upgrade (RH calls it "freshen") those RPMS that already exist on your
system.

One thing about this. If they've packaged things differently, then you
may end up with dependencies that require you to install (rpm -i)
certain rpms.

It's much easier to use the installer that comes with the distribution
and choose the "Upgrade" option. Make a backup of your existing system
first.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Random thought #11 (Collect all 17)
"Every year, back comes Spring, with nasty little birds yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants." - Dorothy Parker