[PLUG] rpm

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Oct 4 15:51:16 UTC 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Dirk Ouellette wrote:

> If I run #rpm -Uvh when I'm installing RH 8.0 rpms over RH 7.3 , will
> all of the rpms be installed or just the updated versions of 7.3 that
> Ialready have?  Does this question make sense?

First of all, you would want to use "-Fvh", not "-Uvh".  There is another
reason why you don't want to do this...

If Redhat has changed how the package works, or the packages have picked
up new dependancies, you will not get them.  Using upgrade will take care
of these sort of things.  (Freshen does not look for changes in the
required dependancies.)