[PLUG] Samba and WinXP connection problem

Ben Mabbott bmabbott at riverdale.k12.or.us
Mon Oct 7 16:12:51 UTC 2002

For WinXP and 2000, you have to add a machine account to samba in order to
connect.

First, you need to add a machine account that matches the computer name you
plan to use:

"useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false M40G$"

The home folder is set to /dev/null since this account won't need to store
any files, and the shell is set to /bin/false for security purposes. The
trailing $ signifies that this is a machine account. Now that you have that
done, you need to add it to the smbpasswd file:

"smbpasswd -a -m M40G"

-a for adding an account, -m to signify it's a machine account.

That's it. Restart Samba and the WinXP box for good measure, and you should
be in business.

-Ben

> Hi Russell,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> At 10:10 PM 10/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Does the user M40G exist on your box?
>
> Sorry I am not very clear of your comment.  M40G exists on WinXP under
>
> C:\"My Network Places"\"Entire Network"\MS Windows
Network"\SEC\M40G\Shared